When you start to feel a little crisp in the air and people start changing their flip-flops and tank tops out to scarves and boots, it can only mean one thing: the Pumpkin Spice Latte season is upon us. And although there is nothing like indulging in a creamy and super sweet hungry pumpkin flavor on a cool autumn day, sometimes you just want something a little lighter.
Luckily, whether you’re a team pumpkin-spice-all or more of a purist when it comes to cozy drinks, your local Starbucks barista can whip up some incredibly satisfying, seasonal drinks made with better-for-you ingredients. If you are ready to get your fall started while still making healthy choices, there are some drinks you can try for size:
- Chai te: Naturally tasty without added sugar, a hot cup of Starbucks Chai Tea is filled with autumn favorites such as cinnamon, ginger and cloves – as well as a boost of healthy antioxidants. If you need a little sweetness, add a touch of stevia.
- Oatmeal Latte With Pumpkin Spice Topping: If you fancy the taste of a classic PSL, but can do without added sugar and calories, order your choice of a latte made with oat milk and ask the barista to add a sprinkle of the coffee shop’s Pumpkin Spice Topping. The bit of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and fat will deliver the same cozy, falling vibes without the sugar rush.
- Steamed apple juice with a sprinkle of cinnamon: Freshly steamed 100 percent apple juice is as good as cider, but without added sugar or artificial flavors. Ask for a sprinkle of cinnamon on top for a little extra fall flavor.
- Mixed coffee: Caffè Misto is a one-on-one blend of brewed coffee and steamed milk — a simple yet perfectly satisfying cup for a cool autumn day. A Tall Caffè Misto made from milk contains five grams of satiating protein, which gives this drink a little endurance.
- Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte: This combination of espresso, steamed fat-free milk and Starbucks’ Sugar-Free Cinnamon Dolce Syrup will only set you back 100 calories when you order a Tall, and it’s so hot and inviting.
- Honey Almondmilk Cold Brew: If the weather doesn’t quite require a hot cup of joe, try this satisfying cold brew. Made with only cold brewed coffee, almond milk and a touch of the coffee house’s honey mixture, a Grande contains only 50 calories and packs a punch in the nutrition department. Consider asking your barista to replace the honey mixture with a little real honey for even more antioxidants.