Making a claim in a car accident is one thing, but proving that you were not entirely responsible for the accident is a challenge. This is why many people turn to a lawyer after a Mississippi car accident. Since Mississippi is a relatively negligent state, you have the option to sue the other driver for damages based on that driver’s percentage of fault. However, this also gives you the option of owing compensation to the other driver. Consider speaking to a Mississippi auto accident attorney if you have any concerns about this.

How to defend your auto accident claim

Defending your car accident claim can happen when you want to get compensation or when you want to avoid paying for the damage to the other driver. You may receive a message that the other driver is demanding compensation from you when you receive a notification in the mail or through your insurance company. However, the other driver will have to prove you were at fault in order to sue you.

Because of this, it is important to know how to prove that you are not at fault. Part of determining fault in a car accident is comparing evidence to identify inconsistencies. These inconsistencies can reveal what the other driver is lying or exaggerating. Gather as much evidence of car accidents as you can. Your car insurance broker will do some of the work for you, but you can also consult a lawyer.

There are certain instances when the other driver can’t put all the blame on you. Some of these include the other driver:

  • Drinking while driving a car
  • Collide with the car from behind
  • Turn left and hit the car

What does Mississippi Comparative Fault Law mean in my case?

One of the benefits of living in Mississippi is having relative negligence laws on your side. Instead of making the most guilty driver pay for all damages for no consideration, this law divides the compensation. This classification is based on the percentage of mistakes made by each driver.

So you could only be found 25% guilty while the other driver is 75% guilty. The amount of compensation you would pay would be less than what the other driver would have to pay. This takes some off the edge if you find out the other driver is trying to blame you for the accident. The challenge is to reduce your percentage of mistakes with evidence. A car accident attorney can also help you defend yourself and uncover contradictions in the other driver’s claim.

Mississippi Auto Accident Attorney

It can be difficult to defend yourself against a lawsuit when you’re first doing this. Call Germany Law Firm, PLLC at (607) 487-0555 to speak to a Madison Multi-Vehicle Accident Attorney to find out what you can do to defend yourself. Our legal team of accident attorneys in Mississippi may be able to help you obtain compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, and medical bills. We can be found in Jackson, Madison, Gulfport, Oxford, and other Mississippi cities.