A Pennsylvania man was reportedly arrested after his four-year-old son died of a fentanyl overdose.
Van Marcus Redding, 36, was charged this week in the accidental death of Avant Redding, who died in May in his father’s care in Carnegie. Redding has reportedly been slapped on charges of negligent homicide, child endangerment and a drug charge.
The circumstances of how the child was taking the dangerous drug were not clear.
Redding picked up his son at 1 p.m. on May 7 and took him to a family birthday party before they stopped at McDonald’s to pick up dinner, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
After the young Avant had eaten the Happy Meal, he vomited and appeared to be “unsteady on his feet,” Redding told the police, told the Post Gazette.
He took the boy to the hospital, but got into a car accident on the way – and later told the police that the child was sick when he was questioned by the police about the accident, the newspaper said.
The child was dead upon arrival at St. Clair Hospital, WTAE reported.
Avant Redding, 4, died of an overdose in May in his father’s care. Dignity Monument
Police searched Redding’s house and found a bag of white powder that he told police he had sold from his home and cash, the Post Gazette said.
According to the WTAE, Avant later died of fentanyl toxicity.
The defendant was denied bail and will have to appear again in court on Friday, according to the Post-Gazette.