Let’s say you were hit by another driver. What should you do first?

Call the police, according to Craig Swapp, personal injury attorney. He says they will ensure that accurate insurance information is exchanged and usually provide all drivers involved with a “driver swap sheet” that contains the auto insurance information of all parties involved.

After that, you need to have your car repaired. Swapp says you can either file a property damage with your car insurance company or with the car insurance of the driver who caused the accident.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, said Swapp. If you apply to the driver’s insurance company, you do not have to pay a deductible. However, it can take up to 30 days for responsibility to be taken and for a claim to be made.

If you insure yourself you will have to pay the deductible, at least until the debt insurance company takes responsibility, but it is generally processed faster.

Craig Swapp & Associates lawyers work with insurance companies on a daily basis and have years of experience negotiating with these companies.

They know how to maximize the settlement of the victims of a car accident by identifying all compensable items available in the event and then fighting for them.

Ultimately, they take care of the entire insurance side so you can focus on healing.

You can reach them at craigswapp.com or by calling 800-404-9000.