A car accident on private property is treated differently. In general, private property does not belong to the government. Highways and other public roads are owned by the government and most people know that after an accident, they need to contact emergency services and the police. But what should you do after an accident on private property?

After a collision on private property, one should seek medical treatment and contact the law enforcement authorities. Those involved should also share contact information such as phone numbers, emails, and information on how to contact the other party’s insurer. Photographing the damage and the entire accident site is also helpful. Some people also write down everything that happened while it is fresh in their memories.

The police may be slow to arrive and it is better not to discuss the accident with anyone at the scene while waiting. Information shared could later be used against someone, and it is especially important never to admit mistakes.

There is no way of knowing what the total cost of the damage will be until experts have figured it out. Injury or damage to the vehicle that is not clearly visible can result.

Even if immediate medical attention is not given, it is best to see a doctor as soon as possible. Many injuries take time to show up and, if left untreated, can lead to quite serious medical complications.

Should I leave the scene of the accident?
After the accident, vehicles may only be moved if they pose a safety risk. They are less likely to be dangerous where they are as they are not on public property. Nobody should leave the scene of the accident immediately as it is important to contact law enforcement, see a doctor, and gather contact information and evidence.

Should I contact the owner of the property?
It is also important to contact the owner of the property, although obtaining this information may take some effort. A good place to start is the city tax office. Even if the owner of the property is not liable for the accident, they should know what happened and they could also provide information that could help the case.

When a person hits a car and the owner is nowhere in sight, the culprit should record what happened and leave their contact information in a place where the owner can find them.

What about a police report?
If an accident occurs on private property, a police officer may be able to provide an incident report. When the police are not on site, security guards or staff sometimes prepare these reports. Police officers cannot issue tickets at accident sites. The absence of a police report or a ticket can make it more difficult for a victim to prove liability, but surveillance cameras are sometimes on the property. If the footage is accessible, it can be a source of evidence.

An accident should be reported to the car insurance company immediately, even if there is only minor damage. Reporting the incident earlier could simplify the claims process and increase the likelihood of receiving compensation.

The owner may also not be cooperative, which makes the situation much more difficult. It is best not to argue with them on the spot or afterwards. It’s best to keep calm and find ways to prove that another party was to blame for the incident.

This is how you prove your liability
Security cameras could show that the owner was responsible for the accident. A property owner is required to consider known and foreseeable safety risks to prevent their legal visitors from suffering accidents such as ice and snow removal. Other examples of owner negligence could include unmarked construction sites, broken lights, and broken entrance gates.

A driver can also contribute to the car accident. Distracted driving, disregarding or obeying other rules, and drunk driving can cause serious accidents. In some situations, collisions are caused by several factors, such as: B. poor visibility, dirt and inexperienced drivers.

An owner can refuse to cooperate, especially if they are concerned about liability. It’s also not uncommon for an insurance company appraiser to make it difficult to settle a claim. An experienced attorney will assist a victim with personal injury and ensure they receive adequate compensation.

What is contributory negligence?
Determining liability is especially important in Maryland, which follows contributory negligence laws. This means that a person who contributed to the accident can be held partially liable. Maryland is one of four states that follow this law. This means that even if the injured party is only one percent responsible for the accident involving private property, they may not be able to claim damages. For this reason, it is important to contact a lawyer immediately after a car accident.

Towson’s personal injury attorneys at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC help clients deal with complicated automobile accidents
When a car accident occurs on private property, understanding the right steps to take can be overwhelming. Talk to one of our trusted Towson personal injury attorneys at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC for help with your case. Contact us online or call us at 443-589-0150 for a free consultation today. Based in Hunt Valley and Towson, Maryland, we serve customers throughout Baltimore, Baltimore County, Bel Air, Bentley Springs, Colombia, Freeland, Hereford, Hampton, Westminster, Essex, Monkton, Sparks Glencoe, Parkton, Phoenix, Pikesville, White Hall, Carroll County, Harford County, and Howard County.

Visit our website at https://www.huesmanjonesandmiles.com/ for more information.