If you or a loved one is suffering from serious injuries and other damages like lost wages after a car accident, you deserve a fair resolution. Without compensation for your losses, it is very difficult to get on with your life or ever to feel whole again. Each state has its own laws that affect auto accident compensation. As Bellingham Personal Injury Attorneys, we’re going to talk about car crash compensation in Washington State.

Washington State Uses Rules for “Comparative Negligence”

Comparative rules of negligence state that in the event of an accident, the fault and / or negligence of each party involved is based on their respective contributions to the accident. In practice, comparative negligence means that each person involved in the accident is assigned a percentage of responsibility. All factors that led to the accident, such as B. Over speeding and distracted driving are checked before a fault is assigned. Any person can claim damages up to their shared fault percentage. For example, if it is found that you owe 15% in an accident, the bill you will receive will be 15% less than the total.

Car crash damage in Washington state

Frequent personal injuries:

• Reimbursement for medical treatment
• Reimbursement of lost wages
• Reimbursement of damage or loss of use of property (vehicle) caused as a result of the injury
• Money for the loss of the consortium (loss of income, camaraderie, childcare, etc. of your spouse due to his or her injury)
• Money for emotional stress and / or pain and suffering

Does Washington State Allow Punitive Damages?

Punitive damages, sometimes referred to as exemplary damages, are imposed by a court as a punishment for the wrongdoer. This type of harm is intended to deter others from doing the same wrong acts. Punitive damages are sometimes granted in special cases when someone commits an act that is particularly willful, malicious, evil, violent, or fraudulent. Punitive damages are generally not granted in Washington State. However, there are numerous legal exceptions where punitive damages may be allowed.

What you do after an accident can affect your compensation

It is normal to feel unsteady and stressed after a collision. However, if you are not too hurt to communicate, increase your chances of a fair resolution by doing the following:

1. Call the police / report the accident. You can write an accident report. If the police are not called, every driver involved in the accident must submit a report to the DMV within four days of the accident. https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/collision.html
2. Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver, including driver’s license number.
3. Ask for the contact information of all witnesses.
4. Take photos of the scene and any damage to vehicles.
5. Submit a claim with your own insurance company.
7. Report an accident with injuries
8. Make a note of the description of the accident.
9. Obtain a medical examination of any possible injuries caused by the accident.
10. Contact a car accident attorney for help. You have three years from the date of the accident to file a legal claim. However, the earlier you start, the better.

Seek the help of a car accident attorney

If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your legal rights. Let a skilled auto accident attorney fight for the full compensation you deserve. It is not uncommon for the insurance company to receive a severance payment five to ten times greater with the help of a lawyer. Call the Personal Injury Attorneys at Tario & Associates, PS in Bellingham, WA for a FREE consultation! We have represented residents of Whatcom Counties, Skagit Counties, Island Counties, and Snohomish Counties since 1979. You pay nothing in advance and no legal fees unless we claim damages for you!